Areas of Study
Engineering, IT, Business, Hospitality, Tourism, Design & Multimedia, Pre-University (A-levels, SAM, CPU), Language Studies
No.1, Persiaran Bukit Utama, Bandar Utama
47800 Petaling Jaya
Who We Are
First City University College is a private educational institution established by the First Nationwide Group, the developer of the 1000- acre fully integrated township of Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya.
First City University College is a private educational institution established by the First Nationwide Group, the developer of the 1,000-acre fully integrated township of Bandar Utama, Petaling Jaya. First City University College was set up in 1990 and its current campus is located on a 13-acre site within Bandar Utama.
To be a premier private higher education institution offering multi-disciplinary quality programmes at Certificate, Diploma, Degree and Postgraduate levels to both local and international students.
To provide the highest standard of tertiary education in a national and international context.
- The majority of programmes conducted at First City University College have been awarded the Multimedia Super Corridor (MSC) Status
- All the UK degree programmes are fully franchised from foreign universities (100% foreign partners' syllabi)
- All Pre-University programmes (A-Levels and AUSMAT), foundation programmes as well as seven UK 3 0 degree programmes are fully-accredited by MQA ( Malaysian Qualifications Agency).
First City University College currently conducts its academic programmes under the following academic entities:
Faculty of Engineering & Computing Department of Engineering
The Department of Engineering offers programmes in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
Students who have obtained their SPM/GCE 'O' Level or equivalent qualifications can choose to enroll in the Foundation in Engineering, Science & Technology programmes. Upon successful completion, students can advance to the following programmes:
- BEng (Hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering (3 0)
- BSc (Hons) Computer & Network Engineering (3 0)
Students with Pre-University qualifications such as STPM, GCE A-Levels, AUSMAT or equivalent and who have fulfilled the entry requirements may enter directly into the degree programmes at First City University College.
The Electrical & Electronic Engineering degree programme covers aspects of electrical, electronic and communications engineering. The BSc (Hons) Computer & Network Engineering, on the other hand, links various types of software, hardware, protocols and standards used to allow computers to communicate and the need for different skills.
Other programmes offered
Department of Computing
- Diploma in Electronic Engineering
- Diploma in Mechatronics
The Department of Computing offers a 3-semester NCC International Diploma in Computer Studies for students with SPM/ 'O' Level or equivalent qualifications as a foundation programme for admission to the following computing programmes:
- BSc (Hons) Software Engineering (3 0)
- BSc (Hons) Information & Communications Technology (3 0)
- BSc (Hons) Computer Network Engineering (3 0)
BSc (Hons) Software Engineering provides students with a good combination of skills required to design and develop robust quality software. BSc (Hons) Information & Communications Technology provides theoretical explanations as well as practical laboratory-style sessions to develop the key skills required for the industry.
Other programme offered
- Diploma in Information Technology
- NCC Education International Diploma Studies
Most of the programmes offered by the Department of Computing are specifically designed in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University and Sheffield Hallam University of UK.
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences offers a 3-semester Foundation in Business Administration and three Diploma programmes which are specially designed for students with qualifications in SPM/ GCE 'O' Level or equivalent. Students who have completed the Foundation programme, STPM, GCE A-Levels, AUSMAT or other Pre-University qualifications and have fulfilled the entry requirements may enter the following degree programmes:
- BA (Hons) Business Management (3 0)
- BA (Hons) Marketing (3 0).
- BSc (Hons) Accounting & Finance (3 0)
The faculty offers three-year full-time study programme leading to the award of Anglia Ruskin University's BA Honours Business Management, Marketing and BSc Honours Accounting & Finance programmes.
The newest addition to the programme list would be BSc (Hons) Tourism & Hospitality Business Management (3 0) The degree programme which is specifically designed in collaboration with Sheffield Hallam University aims to produce industry-ready graduates who are equipped with knowledge and skills in the global services industry of tourism and hospitality.Other programmes offered
- Certificate in Business Administration
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Mass Communication
Faculty of Design & Built Environment
The Faculty of Design & Built Environment offers programmes conducted in collaboration with Nottingham Trent University, UK. It conducts the Foundation in Art & Design for students with SPM, GCE 'O' Level, STPM, GCE 'A' Level, UEC or equivalent qualifications. The 3-semester programme provides a general art & design education that enables students to gain experience in practical studio work and equip them for degree programmes.
After the Foundation programme, students who have fulfilled the entry requirements may proceed to the following degree programmes:
- BA (Hons) Graphic Design (3 0)
- BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design (3 0)
The BA (Hons) Graphic Design programme helps students to develop a wide range of skills and trains them to become adaptable and versatile designers who can face up to the exciting challenges. The BA (Hons) Interior Architecture & Design students will be exposed to form, space, order, colour, material, structure, proportion, sense of creativity and appreciation of 3-dimensional design in interior spaces. It is the first and only UK interior architecture & design degree programme to be accredited by MQA ( Malaysian Qualifications Agency ).
The Faculty of Design & Built Environment also offers Diploma in Advertising Design, a new programme, which aims to awaken the creative and innovative thinking abilities of students in the area of advertising design.
Other programmes offered
- Diploma in Interactive Design
- Diploma in Interior Design
Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT)
The Australian Matriculation (AUSMAT) is a 10-month Pre-University programme, admitting students with the Malaysian SPM, GCE 'O' level or equivalent qualification. It consists of 50% external examination and 50% coursework. This qualification is recognised by most universities around the world for its degree programmes.
The A-Levels offered at First City University College is awarded by the London Examinations/Edexcel International, UK. The London Examinations GCEs taken overseas are exactly the same as the examinations in the UK, so candidates are awarded the same certificate at the same standard, wherever they are in the world. The examination body has been recognised for the high quality of its examinations and assessments.
First City University College offers the option of science and arts-based subjects to give students a wider choice of disciplines to pursue at undergraduate levels. Students with the appropriate subject combination can be accepted into art & design, business, computing and engineering degree programmes at First City University College.
Other than that, the College also offers Foundation in Science which is developed in collaboration with International Medical University. The programme is specifically designed to prepare students for further studies in the field of health sciences. The quality of this programme is closely monitored by IMU.
The Centre offers Intensive English Programmes; TESOL (Certificate of Competency) and German Language.
Academic Facilities & Resources
First City University College provides excellent academic and recreational facilities such as:
- Fully-equipped engineering laboratories (Digital Lab, Analogue Lab, Power & Control Lab, Microprocessor & Electronic CAD Lab, Mechatronics Lab and EDA Lab)
- Computer Centre that houses the Multimedia Lab, Macintosh and PC-based Art & Design Lab, as well as the Digital Language Lab
- A library
- Lecture theatres with audio visual facilities
- A hostel within walking distance of the college provides accommodation for students
- Well-equipped facilities such as training restaurant, mock hotel room, food production lab and commercial kitchen
- Air-conditioned multi-purpose hall with 4 indoor badminton courts
- Outdoor sports facilities (football field, volleyball court and basketball court)
- Music Room
- Access to First City University College's UK partner universities' e-libraries through the Internet
- State-of-the-art video conferencing facilities for two-way on-line communication with First City University College's partner universities
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
First City University College's Student Services Department assists students in finding suitable accommodation and organises various student clubs and societies for students with specialised interests. Other services offered by the Department include course and career counselling, travel assistance and helping foreign students with their visa applications.
Outline of Scholarships/ Financial Aids
- Merit Scholarships for SPM/STPM/ UEC Students
- Scholarships for Student Leaders & Top Office Bearers
- Sports Scholarships
- Sibling Scholarships
- School Teachers' Children Scholarships
- Teo Soo Cheng Foundation Scholarships
- Sin Chew Education Fund Scholarships
- Nanyang Education Fund Scholarships
- MAPCU Scholarships
- Book Prizes
- Nottingham Trent University Vice-Chancellor Scholarships
Recognition & Achievements
- Awarded the 'SPECIAL AWARD' by the Private Education Department, Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia for
- The most number of First Class Honours students in 3 0 programmes (2003)
- The highest number of MQA accredited 3 0 programmes in Malaysia (2003)
- Excellence in Student Internationalisation (2005)
Corporate and College Achievements
- 1st and ONLY private college to be granted accreditation for its engineering honours degree programmes by BEM (1999 - 2001)
- 1st and ONLY private college to be granted accreditation by MQA for its Engineering honours degree programmes
- 1st batch of ten private colleges to receive approval to conduct degree programmes under the 3 0 mode
- 1st batch of private colleges to be granted the prestigious MSC Status
- 1st private college to receive the highest number of MSC Status programmes under a single approval
- First private college in Malaysia to sign MOU with IBM to jointly work together under IBM System ZTM Academic Initiative Programme
- 1st private college in South East Asia to be equipped with the state-of-the-art Mentor Graphics software running on SUN workstation (worth more than RM 8 million)
- 1st and ONLY centre in South East Asia approved by the Nottingham Trent University, UK, to conduct the University's honours degree programmes in Graphic Design and Interior Architecture & Design