What will I do?
The tasks of certified accountants are as follows:
- analysing and investigating annual and monthly financial accounts
- undertaking financial administration
- preparing reports, budgets, business plans, commentaries and financial statements
- financial forecasting and risk analysis
- liaising with managerial staff, colleagues and clients
- negotiating business terms with clients and associated organisations
- developing and managing financial systems and/or policies
- administering payrolls
- controlling income and expenditure
- ensuring compliance with taxation legislations.
These roles tend to be office-based, although audit work often requires certified accountants to visit clients' premises. During these times, you will likely be away from home from anywhere between one night or up to several weeks.
Is it for me?
To know whether this profession is for you, you should ask yourself the questions below:
- Do you have strong attention to detail?
- Do you have good numerical skills?
- Do you have good analytical skills?
- Do you have good communication skills?
- Do you have excellent IT skills?
- Do you have the ability to work across multiple industries?
- Are you able to work under pressure and cope with tight deadlines?
- Are you able to work in a team and be a good team player?
- Do you have good problem solving skills?
- Do you have negotiation skills?
- Do you have high integrity?
- Are you responsible and trustworthy?
What is the most enjoyable part of the job?
To be an accountant, one must love working with numbers. Other than that, you may also enjoy the interaction with clients and feel good about helping them understand things that may be difficult such as transactions, taxes or even how businesses operate. As you go along, you might find more things that you will enjoy about accounting. This very much depends on you as each individual has different interests and preferences.
Who will employ me?
- Big Four audit firms: PwC, Ernst & Young (EY), Deloitte, KPMG
- Small and medium accounting and audit firms
- All government agencies
- All private companies
- Non-profit organisations such as charity organisations.
How much will I earn?
For fresh graduates, the salary range is between RM2,500 to RM3,000. But once you become a senior executive and higher, your salary can reach up to five digits per month.
- Financial accountant
- Management accountant
- Forensic accountant
- Tax consultant.