#BeAnAwesome: Biomedical Engineer
What will I do?
With more and more private and government hospitals being established in Malaysia to provide the best healthcare to citizens and promote healthcare tourism to the world, the demand for high quality medical device services has since increased to ensure the safety of devices. Biomedical engineers, undoubtedly, are the best qualified candidates to satisfy this requirement.
Besides working demands, the biomedical engineering field also has a bright future in postgraduate studies. Biomedical engineering has developed into a diverse area. From its early days that focused mainly on the development of medical devices, biomedical engineers are now involved in improving biomaterials for implantable artificial organs or tissues (tissue engineering), developing software for analysis of medical data (bioinformatics), connecting healthcare systems and IT solutions (telemedicine), development of better prosthesis and orthotic (rehabilitation engineering), effective drug delivery system (nanotechnology), biomedical imaging, biosensors, and much more.
Is it for me?
The minimum requirement for entering a biomedical engineering programme is a pass in physics and mathematics, with an additional pass in biology, taken either in STPM/SPM. A passion towards biology and engineering is the main motivation for students who join biomedical engineering.
How much will I earn?
In Malaysia, the pay for junior biomedical engineer is between RM2,500-RM3,500 per month, depending on the job scope.
Who will employ me?
Medical device industries and education institutions will need biomedical engineers to carry out the task.
- St. Jude Medical Operations (M) Sdn Bhd
- B. Braun Medical Industries Sdn Bhd
- Symmetry Medical Malaysia Sdn Bhd
- LKL Sdn Bhd
- IDS Medical System (M) SDN BHD
- TUV SUD PSB (M) Sdn Bhd
- SIRIM QAS International Sdn Bhd
- Medical equipment and supplies manufacturing
- pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
- scientific research and development services
- navigational, measuring, electro-medical, and control instruments manufacturing
- electronic and precision equipment repair and maintenance.