#CoursesGalore: Culinary Arts
What is it?
Culinary arts consists of preparing, cooking and presenting food that feasts both the eyes and the stomach. This course will give you a better taste of what it’s like working in the food and beverages industry. You will develop knowledge, skills and techniques to prepare various types of cuisine, from Asian to Western and desserts. For your information, culinary arts may include business and management subject just to prepare you for the managerial position in the F&B (food and beverages) or hospitality industry or start your own restaurant.
What will you study?
Like any other course, culinary arts programmes provide various subjects that will polish your skills. This includes mise en place which is food preparation, kitchen service, restaurant operations and even customer service. You will be prepared with the needed knowledge and skills for your future culinary career. In this course, depending on your university, you will be needed to undergo an internship or industrial training for a hands-on experience in the industry.
- Asian Cuisine
- Basic Western
- Food and Beverage Service Management
- Hospitality Marketing
- International Cuisine
- Malay Cuisine
- Management Principles for Service Industry
- Pastry, Bakery & Confectionery Techniques
- Principles of Food Preparation
- Purchasing and Cost Control
- Restaurant Planning and Design
2 ½ to 3 years for diploma and 3 years for degree (depending on the institution)
Is it for you?
- You are comfortable working on your feet for long hours
- You are very passionate about eating and creating food
- You can work under extreme pressure
What do graduates do?
- Commis Chef
- Executive Chef / Chef de Cuisine
- Food Marketing Consultant
- Food Service Manager
- Pastry Chef
- Restaurant Manager
- Sous Chef
- Station Chef / Chef de Partie