What will I do?
As a biochemist, one must be familiar with analytical methods used for determining the chemical composition or chemical processes associated with all living organisms. Having said that, it is a biochemist’s job to develop and validate new analytical methods which will be used to study new biological compounds. Knowledge of aseptic techniques is a must, due to the fact that most biochemists are required to handle cultures of bacterial, mammalian or fungal origin.
Is it for me?
- Do I have a strong foundation in chemistry, biology and to a certain extent, physics?
- Can I handle daily setbacks and overcome them effectively?
- Do I have an inquisitive mind and like figuring out puzzles?
- Am I able to research using the Internet to come up with solutions to a problem?
- Am I willing to put long hours at work and even sacrifice weekends off? Bacteria cultures wait for no one!
What is the most enjoyable part of the job?
Every day is a challenge and it is not monotonous. As a biochemist, you get the thrill of the chase and a great sense of satisfaction when your goal is achieved. There is a possibility of you discovering a novel approach to better understand a bio-molecule or discovering a new biological compound that could cure specific diseases, or even better, understand certain bioprocesses that could be the breakthrough needed to prevent diseases such as cancer.
Who will employ me?
- Biopharmaceutical companies
- Pharmaceutical industries
- Pathological labs
- Companies that provide analytical services
- F&B and dairy companies
- R&D companies.
How much will I earn?
Fresh graduate: RM2,000 to RM4,000.
Experienced: RM3,000 to RM7,000.
Minimum qualification needed to enter the industry is a BSc in Biotechnology or BSc in Biochemistry.
Further requirements depends on the field/company of choice, for example:
- Dairy companies - minor in microbiology.
- Pathology laboratories - minor in microbiology, biology.
- Biopharmaceutical industry - minor in microbiology, bacterial or mammalian cell culture (aseptic technique).