#PeopleStories: IT Manager
What do you do?
- Support the effective use of IT for teaching and learning.
- Support, develop and maintain vision of ICT, ICT Strategic Development and Plans.
- Help Desk with SLA (service level agreement).
- Maintain and develop tech solutions eg network, servers, storage, application management tools, etc.
Network and server
- Maintenance and development.
- Support and maintain.
Hosting events and support
- Implement recognised industry standards for the operation and management of IT services.
- Effective delegation and direction of team members to ensure timely delivery of services.
How did you get here?
I completed my secondary studies in the science stream with high hopes of becoming a doctor. Unfortunately, my family’s financial situation pushed me to opt for other career choices and I finally signed up for an IT course after consulting a few government staff who worked with my father. They advised us that the IT profession was coming up and young people with IT knowledge tend to get jobs easily.
Why do you do it?
The smiles that light up the users’ faces when we solve their IT-related problems - that’s what really keeps me going every day. Though I’m a low-profile person, I like to meet people daily. So the best part of this job, at the end of the day, is that we know in our hearts that we have helped as many souls as possible. There are no words to describe the satisfaction that arises in your heart.
Who should do it?
Anyone can do this job if they can meet the level of commitment and responsibility that is required for this position. You have to be proactive, honest and reliable in order to grow in this career. You also need ensure you are always updated with the latest tech knowledge and solutions available so that we can provide solutions at any time. Many of us IT geeks are not able to communicate well with users since most we work with hardware and software most of the time, and there is no human communication. So find a workplace that exposes you to different people. If you work in an environment like the one I am in now, you will learn to communicate and support all sorts of users.
Where can you work?
IT graduates can work in the following positions:
- Senior IT/tech manager
- Head of IT/technology
- Director of IT/technology
- System administrator
- Tech specialist
- Network engineer
- Server engineer.
Within the following industries:
- Technology or IT solutions providers
- Banking and financial services
- Education and training
- Food tech
- Science and tech.