Studying in Finland

Have you ever wondered about continuing your studies in Finland? Find out about the visa requirements, work options and other information that will give you a headstart in making your dreams of studying in Finland come true!

Finnish institutions of higher education actively exchange information and mobility schemes with their extensive network of institutions from various countries. The government has made special effort to ensure that the qualifications are of international standards and recognised globally.

Travel requirements

Students intending to stay for more than three months must apply for a residence permit. Requirements for the residence permit which can be applied for at the Finnish embassy include:

  • Original letter from your present education institution indicating you have been accepted as a full-time student
  • Residence permit application form
  • Passport and one recent passport size photo
  • A copy of your health insurance plan
  • Proof (by bank statement) of sufficient funds to cover expenditures during your stay as well as return tickets (minimum of RM77,340 per year) and a minimum of RM25,500 per year for tuition fees 
  • Proof of your accommodation details

You are advised to apply at least a month in advance. Upon arriving in Finland, you must register at a local register office. Bring along your passport and your residence permit to complete a form called 'The Registration Information on a Foreigner'. You are to notify the authorities of any change of address during your studies.

Language of instruction

Mostly Finnish and Swedish, with exception of international study programmes. There are more than 100 international degree programmes taught in English. To find out more, click here. Applicants are required to have proof of language proficiency such as TOEL, IELTS etc.

Work options

Students are allowed to work for up to 20 working hours per week during the academic year and full-time during holidays.

Tuition fees

Regardless of nationality, all bachelor degree students need not pay tuition fees when studying in a Finnish higher learning institute, unless it is English-taught Bachelor's or Master's degree programmes. However, make sure you check twice with your institution of choice for any new updates or if there are any miscellaneous fees (such as for a student union membership) to pay before enrolling.

Living in Finland

Accommodation prices range from RM760 up to RM1,800 per month. Institutions usually provide or arrange for accommodation for international students through the help of student unions.


The cost for a flight ticket from Kuala Lumpur to Helsinki starts at RM2,668.

Health insurance

For less than two years of study, students are required to have personal insurance covering the costs of medical treatment up to RM477,966. After two years, you will usually have a home municipality in Finland and be entitled to municipal health care services. Thus, you will only need insurance coverage of up to RM143,389. Your residence permit will not be issued if you do not have health insurance.


Bachelor degree programmes in Finnish universities are covered by the Finnish government and thus institutions there do not charge tuition fees. However, you will still have to cover the living costs, textbook expenses, accommodation fees etc. If you are unable to fund these on your own dime, consider getting a corporate or government scholarship before travelling over to Finland.

Local contact

Embassy of Finland
258, Jalan Ampang,
Kampung Datok Keramat,
55000 Kuala Lumpur.