Studying in the UK

Have you ever wondered about continuing your studies in the UK? Find out about the visa requirements, work options and other information that will give you a headstart in making your dreams of studying in the UK come true!

In addition to its long history of providing quality and internationally recognised qualifications, the UK houses some of the world's more famous and highly regarded universities. With the wide range of courses to choose from, it is no surprise that it is a popular destination among foreign students for postgraduate studies. Many of the courses in the UK are industry-based, allowing students to have direct access to part-time work, internships and attachments, especially in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Students will also have the opportunity to gain work after graduation through the Tier 1 Graduate Students Post-Study Work programme, making the UK an ideal place to earn a holistic educational experience.

Visa requirements

International students who intend to study in the UK for more than six months must apply for a student visa. Those studying for less than six months will need a student visitor visa.

To apply, you will need:

  • A visa letter from your institution in the UK
  • An individual or joint bank account in your name with sufficient funds for tuition fees and living expenses
  • A valid passport and recent passport-sized photograph
  • Other information as stated here.

Language of instruction


Work options

International students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours a week during the academic year and full-time during the holidays to supplement their income. However, it is advisable to limit the work to 15 hours a week to strike a balance between work and study.

Tuition fees

The tuition fees for international students vary from course to course starting at around RM47,800 and going up to RM181,500 or more for medical degrees. To get the specific figure and additional fees that you may have to pay, visit or contact the institution of your choice.

Living in the UK

International students usually reside in the halls of residence owned by the university or college they go to, but places are limited and they must apply fairly early to get a room. More independent students can always opt for private accommodation off-campus but they will have to share their lodgings with other students to cut costs. Rates will vary from area to area.

It is compulsory for international students to have sufficient funds before they embark on their studies in the UK. An annual estimate of around RM106,000 would suffice for a comfortable study life although you could easily take off RM15,000 if you budget your expenses well. Consider purchasing an NUS Extra card for approximately RM60 to take advantage of student discounts for food, clothes and fashion, books, entertainment like going to the cinema, theatre or even just for buying CDs. Buying food in bulk and doing your own cooking would also help lower expenses.

NUS or the National Union of Students is a voluntary organisation based on membership that aims to better the lives of students and member student unions by presenting special benefits and fighting for and championing the special rights and privileges of students both local and international. Visit NUS Extra's Website for more details.


Prices for return air tickets from Malaysia to London begin at about RM4,000.

Health insurance

All international students staying in the UK for six months or more are entitled to free healthcare through the National Health Service (NHS). To find out more about insurance, visit the Association of British Insurers' website here.


There is an abundance of scholarships for Malaysian students who wish to study in the UK. To find out more, visit here.

Local contact

British Council Malaysia
142C, Ground Floor, West Block, Wisma Selangor Dredging, Jalan Ampang, 50450 Kuala Lumpur